Dr. Fannie H. Emanuel was a medical doctor and civic leader in Chicago. She founded the Emanuel Settlement House in 1908 in Chicago.
Emanuel was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. She attended school there before moving to Chicago where she later married in 1888. Her husband, William Emanuel was a proprietor of the Pressor William Emanuel Scientific Chiropody Company.
Emanuel later enrolled to take classes at the Graham Taylor School of Civics and Philanthropy, Chicago. She would later go on to establish the Emanuel House, a settlement house on Armour Avenue in Chicago. In her mission statement, Emanuel’s stated goal was “to inspire higher ideals of manhood and womanhood, to purify the social condition, and to encourage thrift and neighborhood pride, and good citizenship.”
After raising her children, she decided to pursue a career in medicine. She enrolled and attended the Jenner Medical College of Medicine. She graduated with her medical degree in 1915. After graduation, she set up her private practice at Roosevelt State Bank Building at Grand Boulevard and 35th Street in Chicago.
Emanuel was active in several organizations including the Phyllis Wheatley Club were she served on the Board of Directors, YWCA, and Order of the Eastern to Star, and the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. Dr. Fannie Emanuel died on March 31, 1934.
The Progression of the Race in the United States and Canada: Treating
of the Great Advancement of the Colored Race by Daniel Dana Buck