The Lincoln School for nurses was founded in 1898 in Bronx, NY., and was the first school of its type in the United States. The school was opened to train black women to become nurses during a time when this type of education was not available to African Americans.
The school was located on the site of the Society for the Relief of Worthy Indigent Colored Persons, which opened its operation in 1839. The name was changed to Lincoln Hospital and Home and then became affiliated with Lincoln Hospital in the 1920s.
Over 1,800 women graduated from the school, with its last class in 1961. Several women from other countries attended the school. The Alumnae Association was formed in 1905.