November 1: All-Black Grambling State University Founded on This Date in 1901

0 Posted by - November 1, 2021 - Looking Black On Today, On This Date

By Victor Trammell

Photo credits: Louisiana Travel

Grambling State University was founded on November 1, 1901, as the Colored Industrial and Agricultural School. The school was eventually founded in 1896 by a group of African-American ranchers. They desired the establishment and operation of an African-American academy in the locals’ region of the commonwealth.. 

Booker T. Washington of Tuskegee Institute responded to the Association’s call for aid by sending Charles P. Adams to assist the group in creating an industrial school. Adams was chosen president of the organization for the first time.

When the school moved to its present location in 1905, it was renamed the North Louisiana Agricultural and Industrial School. By 1928, the university began offering two-year professional certificates and degrees following its renaming itself to become the Louisiana Negro Normal and Industrial Institute. It then was a state junior college. In 1936, the curriculum shifted to countryside teaching and learning; students were able to earn professional teaching qualifications after finishing a third academic year. The first bachelor’s degree in elementary education was given in 1944.

Grambling College was created in 1946 and is named for P.G. Grambling, the white milling magnate who donated the land for the university. Grambling educated intermediate educators in combination with preliminary educators and added programs in scientific studies, leisure electives, and industry, transforming the institution from a single-purpose teacher education school to a multipurpose university. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accredited the university for the first time in 1949. (SACS) Formalized paraphrase

Grambling State University was founded in 1974 with a focus on early development and elementary education degree programs. The institution expanded and prospered between 1977 and 2000. Numerous additional academic programs and structures have been constructed on the college’s 384-acre campus, including a building for commerce and computer science, a medical school, a student affairs facility, an arena, a sports complex, cooperative building, and an intercollegiate sports complex.

No comments

Leave a reply