October 11, 1991 The building that housed the Miner Normal School in Washington, D. C. was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The former Normal School for Colored Girls was established in 1851 as an institution of learning and training for young African American women to become teachers. Within two months of opening, school enrollment grew from six to forty. The school continued to grow but in 1860 was forced to close. In 1863, it was reopened as the Institution for the Education of Colored Youth. In 1879, it was renamed Miner Normal School and became part of the District of Columbia public school system. In 1955, the school merged with Wilson Teachers College to form the District of Columbia Teachers College and in 1976 it was incorporated into the University of the District of Columbia.